Thursday, August 14, 2014

Disney World, Two Kids and No Stroller

When I first said to my husband we should take our two littles to Disney World without a stroller, he looked at me like I was nuts. ‘No really, it can be done!’ I promised.

I immediately posted in Babywearing Around Tulsa, asking for experiences from others who had done the same thing. I was disappointed when there were as many nays as yays.

So, I kept that to myself and we boarded a plane to Orlando with a 2-year-old in a Kinderpack and a 9-month-old in an Ergo and no stroller.

And it worked out just fine. Below are some of our pictures and a few tips for taking on such a task!

A large theme park with two ages two and under is no small task. And it requires stuff. But maybe not as much stuff as you think. I tend to go minimalist anyway, but for this particular outing I made sure everything I packed was necessary. Refillable water bottles for everyone, sunscreen, a few snacks and enough disposable diapers for the day plus wipes was a much pared-down diaper bag from our usual day-to-day diaper bag filled with cloth diapers, ointments and oils of every kind.  

Ditch the diaper bag. I know, I just said I packed a diaper bag. And I did, I just packed it in a backpack, which is key when you are babywearing and have no stroller. I also utilized all of the little pockets on our carriers and attached my wristlet Baggallini to my Ergo for easy access. 

Bring extra adults. This may not be feasible for every trip, but we had my husband’s parents come along with us. This meant my husband and I could wear the kiddos and grandpa could wear the backpack. If we had not had the extra adults, my husband would have worn the backpack anytime my toddler wanted to walk, which was quite a bit, and I would have worn it on my back with baby on front in between.

Consider the weather. We took our trip to the big mouse’s house in May and we lucked out. The temps were in the 80s at their hottest and it was quite breezy. Even so, babywearing gets warm and we were all thankful for our recently purchased chilly pads. We just wrapped them around the torso of the kiddos when they were being worn. We also scheduled some built in breaks from babywearing: lunch inside and air conditioned shows interspersed throughout the day broke it up nicely. 

Know the rules. Before going, we checked out all of the rides and requirements online. I knew ahead of time that I would be able to wear my son on all of the rides we had picked out, anything that was all ages. Since this was a quick trip for the kiddos, we weren’t concerned with getting on rides that everyone wouldn’t be able to go on. Getting on and off the rides wasn’t an issue either since I was able to wear the baby. My toddler hopped in and out of the Kinderpack and my husband would just buckle the empty carrier back on like a backpack. I’m sure this saved time over searching for a stroller in the stroller park after every ride

Now that we’ve done it, I’ll admit it. I was pretty scared of not having a stroller. But by the end of the trip, my husband and I were constantly noting how in the way all of those strollers crowding the park were, how quickly we could get around and how nice it was to keep moving even though the little guy needed to nurse or nap.

Though it may not be everyone’s style, my husband and I had a blast wearing our babies at Disney World and can’t wait for our next big babywearing adventure.


 
 
 
Lauren Holloman is the proud momma of two kiddos plus a small menagerie of dogs and cats. When she isn't busy chasing two kids who are running opposite directions, she writes, edits and designs. You can read her pet blog at tulsapetsmagazine.com.


No comments:

Post a Comment