Sunday, October 13, 2013

Beyond Babywearing


Things happen, they always do!  As a mom I've been peed on, thrown up on, and worse.  As I took my youngest with me to the grocery store and ran into the carts not having a belt (and her yanking my hair; we needed a babywearing break), I decided to put her into the cart and use our ring sling as a belt.  It worked even better than the little strappy belts since she wasn't actually sitting unassisted yet.  This got me to thinking about all the ways we use are carriers that have no babywearing function. 

Even more recently I was peed on...not just peed but flooded on.  My shorts were soaked!  I couldn't have been happier to have a mid length woven in my car as I shimmied out of my shorts and created a skirt with my woven.

Here's some pictures of a few ways BWAT members have learned to use carriers that doesn't envolve babywearing:


 

Hammock/Swing:
 
Photography Props:
 
 
Petwearing:
 
 
Pregnancy/Postpartum Support Belt:

 
Umbrellas, Sun Visors, etc:

 
Changing Pad, Blankets, Tummy Time/Picnic Blanket, or Pillows:
 
Toys:
 
 
Clothing:

 
Highchair:
 
 
Shopping Cart Cover/Belt
Assist Carrying Injured Person
Leashes for Pets or Kids, Ropes, Straps, etc:
 
Have things made from them, like totes, scarves, bags, necklaces, etc.  This is a great way to remember your babywearing days beyond your babywearing days.


 
What other ways can you think of? A special thanks to all photographs submitted.  Have more photos to submit, email them to bwatulsa@gmail.com




C.J. North is a Babywearing Institute Scholar who is also an aspiring photographer. She stays home with her three kids; 6yo stepson, 2.5yo son, and 6mo daughter. C.J. has always loved working with children. In her spare time, she manages the allergy and special needs of her family, while being overly addicted to research.
 


1 comment: